The term “door knocking” may seem antiquated in this current digital age of real estate. However, despite the ever-changing and evolving digital landscape, door-to-door sales is still an effective strategy for drumming up new business, keeping a pulse on the local market, and building trust with face-to-face connections.
In fact, research has shown that door knocking was still a $28 billion industry in 2022 according to the Bureau of Labor Statistics.
Try not to think of your sales strategy as needing to be one or the other—old-school techniques versus the new digital options. Instead, door knocking should work in conjunction with your digital marketing efforts. This goes for brand-new real estate agents as well as seasoned sellers.
In this article, we’ll dive into effective door knocking strategies for agents in the luxury market. We’ll explore:
- Why door knocking is still a powerful marketing strategy
- How to adapt techniques for the luxury market
- Effective approaches for engaging with high-end clients
- A step-by-step guide to door knocking your way to a sale
Find It Fast
Why door knocking is still an effective sales strategy
Door knocking is one of the most effective ways to establish credibility and trust in luxury real estate, as it allows agents to demonstrate their expertise in person. Even today, the average agent can convert at least 2% of doors knocked into red-hot sales.
Face-to-face interactions provide agents with an opportunity to build relationships that go beyond what they can accomplish through other marketing strategies. Through door knocking, agents can showcase their knowledge of the local area, as well as share resources and insights on how best to leverage a property’s value and strengths.
To understand how effective this tactic can be, look no further than top-producing agents who have embraced door knocking as part of their marketing strategy.
For example, our client Ben Bacal door-knocked his way to a $20M dollar property sale soon after entering the luxury market. And he still door knocks to this day, even as a seasoned real estate agent.
Key factors to consider for luxury real estate door knocking
With a finger on the pulse of the luxury real estate market, you’ll have an edge over other agents when door knocking for leads. Here are a few key factors to keep in mind:
- Luxury property owners have specific needs, desires, and expectations when looking for a home. Not only do they desire privacy, exclusivity, and prestige, but they also want an agent who understands their needs and will go that extra mile.
- Be aware of common misconceptions that come with luxury real estate. Contrary to popular belief, high-net-worth individuals aren’t solely focused on the lavishness of properties. They still want to score a great deal. Sometimes, they’ll even choose a smaller brand with unique skills over a household name.
Classic sales practices like door-to-door visits can work wonders—as long as you tailor your approach to meet their unique needs.
Adapt traditional door knocking techniques for the luxury market
To make a sale in the luxury market with door knocking, traditional techniques need to be adapted to work for your high-end demographic.
Research and preparation
Preparation is key to door knocking your way to a sale. With the luxury market, you need to gain a deep knowledge of what buyers in the area are looking for and what prices they’re willing to pay.
Understand the nuances of the particular area and how high-end clients are used to living. Are you door knocking in a more private neighborhood? Then focus on selling the properties that offer additional privacy, protection, and exclusivity.
Also, think beyond just a simple piece of paper that markets your services or properties. Invest in high-quality sales collateral and come to the door prepared to present every time.
Relationship building is essential for sales, but even more so with luxury real estate. Potential buyers and sellers in this market expect a higher level of understanding when it comes to their specific needs, along with quality customer service.
Building meaningful, quality relationships with potential clients means taking time to get to know them—from here, you can offer more personalized services and go above and beyond for their satisfaction.
Don’t simply knock on a door and expect to make a sale. Ask questions, get curious, and understand that a “no” at that moment may not be a “no” later in their real estate journey.
We don’t need to tell you how important it is to make a positive first impression on buyers. When it comes to the luxury market, it’s essential to go beyond simply dressing professionally and looking the part. Work on understanding your audience before they even open the door.
For example, do research on the history of the neighborhood itself. Is it made up of entirely new homes or have families stayed on this block for generations? How much has the average house sold for in this area over the last few years?
This type of proactive research will get your conversation off to a stronger start since you’ll have a better idea of your potential client and can ask effective questions. Not to mention that this will also demonstrate your expertise in the field and showcase the value you can bring to them.
Prepare for rejection
Rejection is hard in any real estate market, so be ready for potential obstacles or rejections you may encounter while door knocking. Having a positive attitude and being willing to listen can go a long way toward diffusing difficult situations—along with respectfully addressing any concerns the buyer shares with you.
When it comes to the luxury market, it takes roughly double the amount of time to sell a luxury property versus a non-luxury property. So remember that rejection is not always permanent. Maintain the communication you started with door knocking and then continue to build the relationship.
Three door knocking strategies for luxury real estate sales
Now that you’ve adapted more traditional door knocking techniques to the luxury real estate market, let’s dive into how you can tailor your pitch and highlight the best features of each property.
Here are three helpful strategies for door knocking in the luxury real estate market:
1. Start by leveraging market trends to identify properties in high demand. Consider seasonal and regional changes as you refine your door knocking tactics.
For example, certain regions may experience higher sales during summer months or properties with waterfront views may be more desirable in certain climates. Agents can use this data to target homes that are likely to attract buyers quickly and generate higher profit margins.
2. Highlight the unique selling points of each property. This means taking the time to understand what sets each home apart from others on the market in terms of aesthetics, location, or amenities offered.
3. Incorporate visual presentations and pre-written door knocking scripts into your pitch to increase your chances of making a good impression and closing a deal.
Be sure to adjust these pieces of collateral based on feedback from potential clients. Reflect on the following after each encounter:
- Did they engage with your presentation?
- Did they ask questions you weren’t prepared to answer?
- How did they react to your questions?
- Did they provide you with their contact information for future communications?
- What did you learn about the area from this conversation?
Be prepared with a door knocking toolkit
To successfully implement these door knocking strategies, you must be equipped with the right tools to maximize your chances of success and establish trust with homeowners and prospective buyers.
We previously mentioned having high-quality sales collateral—having the right marketing materials can allow you to present your services in a way that helps you stand out. Ensure you have high-end property marketing materials like:
- Professional property photos
- Prepared answers to FAQs
- Contact cards/forms
If you want to effectively engage with potential buyers, focus on honing your conversational skills. Think in terms of:
- Using language that resonates with high-end clients
- Does your client love one-of-a-kind objects? Point out the “custom-built” areas of a property or “rare” pieces found in the home. Paint a picture for them instead of simply listing features like acreage and amenities.
- Adapting your presentation style to fit the situation
- It’s ok if this means going off-script. Connect personally with homeowners by asking questions and then actively listening to their responses. Think in terms of solving their problem instead of solely making a sale.
- Being cognizant and respectful of their time
- If they’re halfway out the door, don’t force them to have a conversation with you. Instead, ask for their information and when you can follow up with them. Be strategic about how you communicate.
How to turn a door knock into a luxury real estate sale
Truly harnessing the potential of door knocking requires a combination of research, preparation, and consistency. Follow our 13-step guide below to help you close those high-end deals.
Step 1. Plan your approach
Identify your target areas and properties and meticulously plan your approach. Familiarize yourself with the market, property values, and other location factors before making your move.
Step 2: Start door knocking
Now it’s time to start knocking on doors. Introduce yourself as a neighborhood expert and ask if homeowners are thinking about selling. This approach can lead to long-lasting relationships with potential clients and even uncover properties not yet listed on the market.
Step 3: Understand the client’s needs and concerns
Discover the homeowner’s unique situation, needs, and objectives by asking insightful questions. Remember to listen attentively and express authentic interest in their answers.
Step 4: Craft a winning pitch
To make that sale, it’s all about the pitch. Armed with insights into the homeowner’s needs and the distinct elements of their property, you can tailor your message to illuminate how you’re the ideal person to help them reach their real estate objectives. Remember to use language that connects to their specific interests.
Step 5: Stay in touch
Make a lasting impression on your potential clients by following up with a thoughtful and personalized thank-you note or email after your initial visit. And don’t stop there—continue to provide value by sharing market updates, property listings and insights on how to enhance their property value.
Step 6: Schedule a meeting
Now that you’ve built a connection, it’s time to set up a meeting to dive deeper into their real estate vision. Whether it’s at their property, your office, or a mutually convenient location, make this next step formal and productive.
Step 7: Present your proposal
Impress your potential clients by presenting a tailored marketing plan, just for them. Highlight your pricing suggestions and explain how you’ll achieve the perfect outcome for their unique property. Confidence is key, so display your expertise and nail that pitch.
Step 8: Address client questions or concerns
Confront any hesitations or objections from the homeowner head-on. Be upfront about the sales process, associated expenses, and potential roadblocks. Infusing your dealings with candor and proficiency can establish a foundation of trust.
Step 9: Seal the deal
When your homeowner is excited to proceed, present them with the listing agreement. But, before they sign, ensure they comprehend all the terms and conditions to avoid future misunderstandings.
Step 10: Get your property sold
Now that you’ve got the listing, it’s time to make it shine. With professional photos, expert staging, and targeted promotion on top-tier platforms, you’ll attract serious buyers in no time.
Step 11: Get the best deal
It’s time to flex those negotiation skills as offers roll in. Nail the deal with these three tips:
- Stay informed on current market trends and neighborhood home values.
- Prepare for the unexpected and handle challenges like a pro.
- Always prioritize your client’s needs to ensure a successful sale.
Step 12: Finalize the sale
Successfully sealing the deal requires cooperation from everyone involved. Collaborate with the homeowner, buyer’s agent, lawyers, and lenders to guarantee a seamless closing process. Keep the homeowner in the loop every step of the way.
Step 13: Post-sale follow-up
Don’t let your relationship with the homeowner end after closing the sale. Show your appreciation with a heartfelt thank-you note and keep them in the loop with market updates. Keeping in touch can lead to more business down the line—and more referrals.
Door knocking best practices for the luxury real estate market
When done right, door knocking can be quite profitable, but there are a few best practices you should keep in mind:
- Do think strategically and thoroughly about your approach. Know which areas and properties you’re targeting and have a clear understanding of the market. Being knowledgeable about the industry and market conditions will help you stand out from other agents/brokers in the area.
- Do listen more than you speak. By actively listening to the customer’s needs, you’ll be able to better tailor your pitch and build trust faster. Follow up with prospective clients and reiterate the needs they shared in your initial conversation.
- Don’t over-promise. Many agents and brokers make the mistake of promising too much in order to close a deal quickly, which will not leave a good impression on customers in the long run.
- Don’t neglect relationships. Even if you don’t get a sale at first, stay in touch with clients as they’re more likely to remember your name when they’re ready to buy or sell in the future. Remember that a “no” today is not necessarily a “no” forever. It’s all about nurturing your leads, however you gained them.
Master luxury real estate sales with Luxury Presence
Door knocking is an essential part of luxury real estate sales, as it allows agents to have direct conversations with homeowners and build relationships face-to-face. While cold calling may be more efficient in terms of time spent, door knocking can actually provide better results when done correctly.
If you are looking to become a leader in the industry, let our team of real estate experts at Luxury Presence assist you. We understand the nuances of marketing luxury real estate businesses and can work together to help you put your best foot forward.